Site: St. Alban's Episcopal Church, Albany, CA
From The Page (July, 1993):
The Principality of the Mists is proud to present once again a bardic feast and competition for the choosing of the next Bard of The Mists, to be held Saturday, August 28 in the church hall of St. Alban's Episcopal Church, (address omitted), Albany.
The doors will open at noon and the competition will begin promptly at 2 p.m. Cleanup will begin at 9 p.m. and we must be out by 10 p.m.
There will be a feast, directed by Siobhan ni hEodhusa, assisted by Arielle d'Arc and Gwenllian Rhiannon. The theme of the feast is "Food of the Bards" and many delectable dishes are planned. Tickets for the feast are $10 and include the site fee. The site fee alone is $2, children under 12 are free. Tickets will go on sale at June Crown. Please buy or reserve your tickets ahead of time since seating is limited (80 maximum). Checks should be made payable to S.C.A. Inc. - Principality of the Mists.
The competition will consist of five parts-
1. Period Piece - a piece written before 1650, may be spoken, sung or instrumental. Please provide documentation.
2. Piece in period style - a piece written by the contestant in a style used in period. May be spoken, sung or instrumental. Please provide documentation.
3. Bard's Choice - a piece in a short, structured form such as a villanelle, sonnet, Norse druppa, Welsh englyn, or the like, on the subject of chivalry, written by the contestant.
4. Masterpiece - bring out your best.
5. Impromptu - given three words and fifteen minutes preparation, write and perform a piece incorporating three words.
Regarding documentation: documentation counts, but don't let it scare you off. Please provide a list of the prepared pieces you intend to perform, as well as concise information as to sources and forms. Words and music are also nice. If possible, please bring 5-7 copies.
Those interested in competing may contact Wander Riordan, the current Bard of the Mists, at the number provided below.
Autocrat: Wander Riordan (name/contact info).
See photos of this event
The West Kingdom History Website was created by and is maintained by Hirsch von Henford (mka Ken Mayer).